Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Its not that damn funny, Cowboy!

I don't have anything specific to write about. Work is work...its not exciting at all. They've finally opened a few positions up for my friends to get hired on permanant...but those are their stories, not mine. Although, in the midst of all this, there is the possibility for a promotion for myself...but whatever. My boss has been on my ass like a pair of whitey-tighties, so the prospects are not looking particularly bright. Fucking corporate assholes.

I just got done reading a book called "The End of Faith" by an author whose name I can't recall...don't worry Mr. Storyteller, I don't even remember the name of the dude who wrote that book in your hotel nightstand. But its a fan-fucking-tastic book. I'm not gonna give you a full synopsis of the book...but I think this paraphrased excerpt should give you a good idea: The state of the world is kinda like if instead of arguing over which religion's God(s) was the creator of the universe and the author of the moral law of humanity, we were arguing over Star Wars...which is better, Jedi or Sith? Blaster or Lightsaber? Empire or Rebellion? Padme or Leah? Both scenarios are retarded. In fact...I did a poor job of paraphrasing. That quote is in the beginning of the book and its been a month at least since I read that part. I'll come back and edit it later. Deal with it.

Basically it proports that we need to get rid of the irrationality that allows us to trust in such illogical and unfounded beliefs that are the foundation of religion, at which are the heart of divisiveness and hatred and intolerance. We will not survive as a species unless we do otherwise. I happen to agree. Once you can suspend logic to accept one belief, its not hard to expand that. We have always done this...from the beginning of recorded history there is proof among proof among proof of this. It is only now dangerous to our survival because of the emmense power of our weapons and the proliferation of those weapons among the ignorant and zealous among us.

The problems of this country are the problems of the world. The problems in our cities are the problems of this country. The problems of our homes are the problems of our cities. The problems of our lives is the problems of our homes. The problem of our minds, our hearts, our souls are the problems of our lives. There is no greater cause than that of the intelligent, rational search for the truth. Until we individually and collectively charge ourselves with that aim, we will continue to flounder in superstition, stand divided along imaginary lines, and hate the person standing on the other side of that line.

This is the shit I do at work sometimes...instead of work. I regurgitate the thoughts of great people whose names have long been forgotten, erased, and suplanted by the names of the mediocre who take the credit. It seems more rewarding than making sure that all of the Pizza Huts in a give city are arranged correctly in the fucking yellow pages.

No comments: