Sunday, August 19, 2007

Take Your Child To Work Day...or bore the hell out of some kids who used to think Daddy's job was cool

We arrive at my cubicle an hour before the festivities are set to begin. So while I try to get a bit of work done before its time to go and meet with the coworkers who also dragged their offspring to the office on Fri, I encourage my son to draw on the big dry-erase board that hangs in each of our cubes of capitalism. He decides he's going to draw the picture that I have as a desktop on my pc...which is my tattoo:



So he draws the outline circle on the board. Its not a bad circle, a little oblong on the bottom right side, but really not bad for a freehand circle of a 7-year old. He steps back, taps me on the shoulder and says, "Look at my circle."

"Not bad," I reply.

"No. Not bad at all. Its looks like a perfect circle, which is almost good enough for me."

My son has the most incredible ways of slapping me in the face with accidental philosophy.

The remainder of the day at work was filled with women coworkers cooing over how adorable my son is, how he looks just like me, how hyper he is, how funny he is...blah blah blah, stuff I'm used to hearing by now. I understand that all of that is going to be said and will continue to be said...but c'mon people, think just a little bit. Are you really that surprised? I mean, doesn't a child usually look like his parents - boys like fathers, girls like mothers? You know that we've heard all of that, and in those exact words that you're using right now. Be original. Mention something off the wall that you noticed: "Wow, your son makes the weirdest noises when he's annoyed" (it doesn't take much to annoy him...he is my son). And if you can't be original, at least be creative, "Damn, Carter...how much did the gov't pay you to volunteer for a cloning project?"

Its quite sad, now that I think about it...people are unimaginative, mindless drones. I think we should come up with a scientific way to classify the level of droneness of the masses. Maybe a scale, like 1-5 or a color code system...everyone level GREEN or darker are so stripped of cognitive uniqueness that they don't qualify as humans. They don't deserve equal wages, equal freedom...fuck it...lets just kill 'em.

Wait...no...not a color code system...I'm color blind.

No comments: